1) I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee,
I’m goin’ to Louisiana my Susanna for to see.
Ref.: Oh, Susanna, oh, don’t you cry for me!
For I’m goin’ to Louisiana with my banjo on my knee.
2) It rained all night, the day I left, the weather it was dry,
the sun so hot, I froze to death, Susanna, don’t you cry!
3) I had a dream the other night, when ev’rything was still,
I thought I saw Susanna dear a-coming down the hill.
4) The buckwheatcake was in her mouth, the tear was in her eye,
I said I’m coming from the south, Susanna, don’t you cry!
5) I soon will be in New Orleans, and then I’ll look around,
and when I find Susanna, I’ll fall upon the ground.
6) But if I do not find her, then I’m surely bound to die,
and when I’m dead and buried, oh, Susanna, don’t you cry!